Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sand at Lokomotiv Stadium?

According to some reports, Lokomotiv are interested in the services of Argentine hitman José Gustavo Sand. Currently Sand plays for Club Atlético Lanús of the Primera Division Argentina. Sand, who is 28 years old became top scorer in the Primera División Argentina for the first time in the Apertura 2008 championship with 15 goals in 19 games. In the Clausura of this year he became the first player to become top scorer in consecutive tournaments in nearly 30 years. The last player to achieve such feat was no one else Diego Maradona. This happened in 1980. Jose has also 2 caps for the Argentine National team to his name.

Despite his undisputed talent, I believe that Lokomotiv should look elsewhere. At 28 years of age, players may start looking for future financial security and thus choose lucrative contracts. Because of my stance against players who play for the $ in their pockets rather than for the club I hope that Lokomotiv doesn't sign an Odemwingie-like striker. After his first year, Odemwingie rarely puts 50% of his effort for Lokomotiv. When Nigeria played with France about 2 months ago I was totally perplexed with Odemwingie's performance. I wondered, is this Lokomotiv's player? WOW!! I've never seen him put such effort for ages. I just hope that if Lokomotiv sign Sand he prove me wrong and show me that he is no Odemwingie and thus it's not a requirement to be a Russian to play for the red-green shirt rather than the $!!!

However in the end I believe that Sand is a profilic stiker, and should he join Lokomotiv and makes his maximum effort, I am sure that he will increase massively our fire power up front and thus become a key player by time. Nevertheless I believe that Lokomotiv should focus on bringing a playmaker rather than another striker. In my opinion it's that what Loko lacks. Moreover I believe that a talented playmaker would certanly unleash Sychev! Remember Loskov-Sychev?! Forza Loko!

PS - I just hope that coming August, I log on onto http://www.en.wikipedia.com/ and remove "Peter Odemwingie" from the "Current Squad" of the page of Lokomotiv Moscow on wikipedia!! Otherwise I just hope that he changes his attitude (which lately REALLY gets on my nerves) and start playing for Lokomotiv the way he plays for the Eagles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment